A part of the Constellation family of companies, Houston-based StarTex Power offers fixed and variable rate plans to residential and commercial electricity customers in Texas. StarTex Power prides itself on its ability to offer friendly, personalized customer service, and easy energy management.
Our Take on StarTex Power
As a Constellation company (we are impressed with and recommend Constellation), we consider StarTex Power to be a reputable electricity provider, with superior customer service. While we would stay away from variable rate plans, we think that longer-term fixed rate plans provide good value for Texas customers, though high cancellation fees are definitely something to keep in mind. Compare reviews with other suppliers.
Don't forget to shop around for a new fixed rate when you reach the end of your StarTex plan. While customers have enjoyed savings with fixed rates, several reported much higher electricity bills when automatically transferred to a variable rate.
StarTex Power Advantages & Disadvantages
Why Choose StarTex Power
StarTex offers numerous advantages. We think customers will like
- Great rates: StarTex Power's fixed rates are competitive, and customers may be able to save by locking in a fixed rate over the long term. What's more, StarTex Power's pricing system is simple; the company does not charge minimum usage fees on many of its plans.
- Customer rewards: StarTex Power offers some customer advantages and rewards, including referral credits and exclusive offers with partner companies
- Reliability: in business since 2004, and as a member of a much larger energy (Constellation), StarTex Power is stable and dependable
- Community engagement: as a member of the Constellation family of companies, StarTex Power customers can apply for grants to suppor community programs
However, no company is perfect. Electricity customers who are interested in StarTex Power for their electricity supply should be aware of the following:
- High cancellation fees: at $250 and $350 for the 24 and 36 month fixed rate plans, and with no prorating of cancellation fees, cancelling late out of a plan with StarTex could be painfully expensive.
- Automatic renewal to variable rate plans: while many StarTex customers appreciate savings on fixed rates, we noted a pattern of online customer complaints about paying much higher prices when automatically enrolled onto a variable rate at the end of their plan. This is fairly standard practice for most Texas REP. Customers who reach the end of their electricity plans should always make sure to shop around for a better rate before being automatically renewed to a month-to-month plan.
|Plan Type||Terms Available||Details||Termination Fee||Our Thoughts|
|Fixed rate plans||12, 24, and 36 month plans||
||$150 - $350, depending on length of plan||Recommended: 24 and 36 month plans with competitive rates|
|Green Energy Plan||12 months||
||$150||We recommend the 12 month plan with competitive rates.|
|Variable rate plans||None - month to month, renews automatically||
Savings on Fixed Rate Plans
Customers have reported that they appreciate savings on fixed rate electricity plans from StarTex Power. Fixed rate plans can often be a good deal if you are able to lock in a good rate at the right time of year.
We recommend opting for fixed rate contracts of 24 or 36 months. Electricity prices per kilowatt-hour fluctuate throughout the year, and you may actually lose money by not being able to take advantage of prices when they are low. However, because electricity prices tend to increase over time, locking in fixed rates for longer periods may prove advantageous and deliver savings. More customers report satisfaction when on fixed rates for their electricity supply, as variable rates can often change dramatically without warning.
Green Energy Plans with StarTex Power
StarTex Power offers a 100% renewable energy plan. However, because electricity is delivered via indirect paths on a shared grid, this does not mean that the electricity that reaches your house comes 100% from renewable sources. Rather, a green energy plan might mean that your provider has agreed to purchase this equivalent amount of electricity from renewable sources.
Positive Customer Service Ratings With StarTex Power
StarTex Power has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, based on the small number of complaints that have been made against it relative to its size, as well as the length of time the company has been in business. StarTex Power scores a 5 plug Complaint Score on the Texas PUC power to choose website, meaning that its complaint ratio (number of complaints for the size of the company) is low.
Find a more detailed description of the customer experience with StarTex Power on our dedicated StarTex Power reviews page
About StarTex Power
Founded in 2004, StarTex Power is based in Houston, Texas, and provides electricity service to Texas-based customers. It was acquired by Constellation in 2011, but continues to operate under its own name.
Contact StarTex Power
StarTex Power Customer Service Phone Number: 1-866-917-8271
Operating Hours: Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
StarTex Power Customer Service Email: [email protected]
Find more detailed contact information for StarTex Power in our StarTex Power Contact page.
Interested in StarTex Power?
We're here to help. Call us at 832-460-0233 to speak to an energy expert and find the lowest rates available in your area!